Blattner Energy is the premier EPC wind contractor in North America.
Blattner has installed more than 30,000 megawatts of wind power across North America, including the five single-largest projects in the United States. Our success in utility-scale wind farm construction stems from a strong history of delivering A BETTER CONSTRUCTION EXPERIENCE™ by responding to client needs, delivering on aggressive project schedules, and ensuring the highest levels of safety, quality, and overall client satisfaction.
Blattner’s wind capabilities include:
• Permitting procurement
• Land-use optimization
• Geotechnical investigation
Engineering and Design
• Transportation, receiving and inspection
• Inventory control and onsite logistics
• Site civil work, ROW, erosion control, and reclamation
• Foundation installation
• Post-tension concrete tower supply and installation
• Turbine installation and mechanical completion
• Electrical collection systems
• Transmission line installation
• Substation construction
• Communication network installations
• Testing and commissioning
• O&M building construction
Blattner differs from the typical renewable energy construction contractor by executing aspects of wind farm construction on our client’s behalf.
- Our proven project management skill set and self-performance capabilities allow us to understand the critical components of every project.
- We effectively communicate the impact of decisions, foresee and mitigate any potential problems, and ensure control over safety, quality, schedule, and productivity.
Post-Tension Concrete Towers
Blattner currently offers post-tension concrete towers that allow for significantly higher hub heights. The pre-cast, pre-stressed concrete turbine technology is a proven technology that has been used in wind power projects around the world. Tower heights can be increased from an average of 80 meters up to 140 meters, allowing them to reach farther above typical wind speed levels. The benefits to customers include:
- Better energy yields
- Access to new areas for wind development that wouldn’t be cost-effective with shorter towers
- Component sections can be loaded and hauled in legal size on a standard flatbed truck, eliminating the need for escorts and specialized equipment
This technology is the next step in the evolution of wind turbine construction and represents a paradigm shift in the capacity and generation of wind projects. The technology was developed by Postensa Wind Structures SA de CV, a structural engineering and construction company with more than 60 years of experience in post-tensioned concrete. The technology is exclusively licensed to Blattner Energy. For additional information about our post-tension concrete tower offering, please contact us.
Our electrical expertise differentiates us from other utility-scale wind-farm construction contractors. We’ve built a core of diverse utility veterans and experienced electrical personnel. Our team consists of in-house electrical engineering resources, task-specific engineers, and industry-proven electrical subcontractors. We believe that early integration of the wind farm design, grid interconnection, and electrical system is paramount and provides significant value to our clients. We provide assurance for renewable energy construction through:
- Design review and optimization
- One line development
- Reliability planning for transmission and generation interconnects
- Power quality considerations
- Safety provisions in design, construction, and operations
- Low voltage ride through modeling
- Economic analysis of input parameters for accurate cost of fixed and variable electric losses
- Post-commissioning performance assurance
- Transmission grid integration
While some contractors view the community as a potential obstacle to success, Blattner proactively cultivates strong landowner and community relationships on behalf of our clients.
- Blattner directly addresses landowner questions and concerns.
- We organize landowner information meetings and hold local workforce/vendor fairs.
- We form positive community relationships, helping to ensure Blattner projects progress with fewer delays and set the stage for our clients’ continued success in the area.
Blattner recognizes the importance of identifying and preserving local wildlife, sensitive habitats, and culturally significant resources in and around project sites. We collaborate with our clients to ensure we work within the guidelines of specified regulatory bodies on each project site, and we comply with all local, county, state, and federal regulations.